Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Staging My Home to Sell!

If you're a fan of HGTV, you've seen shows like "Get it Sold" and "Designed to Sell".
I've been glued to these shows lately
in an attempt to receive all of the best advice possible to sell my home!

We are putting the house on the market this weekend
 and I've been hard at work DECLUTTERING!

This is the hardest thing for me...
If you love the cottage style, then you know that clutter is part of it.
It's hard to take apart all of my displays throughout my home,
but it's something that needs to be done
so that a buyer can envision
his/her own decor/belongings in the house.

Here are some before and after photos
 of some of the things I've done
to declutter my home.
















Here's a list that I pulled off of the HGTV "Get it Sold" website.
(Selling a home is SO MUCH WORK!)

1. Eliminate half of your belongings as clutter can cost a sale.
Rent a storage unit or portable pod for extraneous pieces of furniture or knickknacks. 

2. Use "home wash" (hose attachment available at home improvement stores) to clean the outside of the house.

3. Clean rain gutters as well as outside windows and screens.

4. Make sure the front door is inviting. Paint the door if needed.
 Also, replace any outdated outdoor lighting fixtures.

5. Buy new house numbers if the old ones are dated or faded.
Be sure buyers can see the new ones from the curb.

6. Buy a new welcome mat.

7. Organize all closets and drawers. Buyers might look there.

8. Make any necessary repairs so that buyers don't have to add that to their list of expenses.

9. Rearrange furniture to make rooms appear as large as possible.

10. Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to baseboards.
Don't forget interior windows, mirrors and floors.

11. Scrub every inch of the kitchen and bathrooms.

12.Depersonalize each room, removing photo frames and posters or artwork.

13.Buy new linens and pillows if necessary.
Be certain they are a neutral color.

14. Buy air neutralizer and spray it often.

15. Let go emotionally of your home, and get ready for an offer!

Well, looks like I've tackled number one on the list!
Now I have to box it all up!

Anyone else getting their house ready to sell?
Have you recently sold your home?
Any other advice for me?

I have to throw in a photo of my little helper...


She's the GREATEST!
 

1 comment:

  1. We used to love those shows when buying and fixing up our home. Sabrina rules!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Read More

Read More

Search My Blog